This class has given me many practical suggestions to integrate my English and German curriculum with other curriculum. The suggestion that a student must come into contact with a word 39 times before they learn it was surprising. In teaching a foreign language, that seems like a lot, but then again, I remember best the words to which I had the greatest exposure. Vocabulary strategies like graphic organizers are useful for foreign languages. Creating a graphic organizer that groups like words will help students learn a handful of words, not just one at a time. I like the graphic organizer that has the students draw a picture. Since all of the words are new words, having a picture in the student's mind will help with recall. We also create songs to help them remember conjugation of verbs. Even if they know the verb infinitive, the songs help to remind them of how to correctly conjugate.
I also will be using the three different levels of questioning to make sure my students are comprehending what they are reading-- making sure I ask not only text-explicit and experience-based questions, but also hit text-implicit questions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.