Last week, I started teaching my unit that I created for this class. We began last week and the readings went well-- I could have used a few comprehension strategies (although I now know which ones I will be adding into my lesson plans!). Yesterday, we went to the computer lab to complete a webquest that I created as part of my unit. I thought it would be a laid back day, just helping them once in a while. Oh no! I had no idea how many problems could occur. Monitors not working, passwords not working, printers not working.... it was chaotic. The webquest was too long-- none of the students were able to get all of the questions answered. Then, one person printed their webquest about 50 times-- they went through a whole ream of paper. It was one headache after another... and I'm not sure how effective the students' learning was. Since they didn't finish all of the questions, they weren't able to do the "big" question to tie it all together. I had to go over the answers today in class and give them time to answer the final question.
I guess it is a process of trial-and-error, but I feel guilty that I am experimenting on my students' time. Although I am glad that I was able to do a webquest as part of my practicum before I actually get my own classroom. Tomorrow, they are creating their own product on a social or political issue that is important to them. I'm hoping that it goes smoother tomorrow and the final product is worth all of the snafus encountered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, kudos to you for creating your webquest! I found one and had my seniors complete it. I think it was helpful but what I realized about day three is that they were not following the step by step directions as they should have which resulted in my trouble shooting with individuals. Had I taken more time (I assumed these seniors would read more carefully) to read through the step by step process with them, then their time would have been more focused and productive. Consequently, I extended the project two days to compensate. Good lesson for my students and for me! Even though I don't want to insult their intelligence, a little hand holding in the beginning saves headaches in the end! I will try to create my own webquest over the summer I think. Don't feel bad about experimenting! How else will you or your students learn what works and what doesn't!!!
ReplyDelete