Friday, November 20, 2009
Rachel
Time and curricular constraints have come to hold a whole new meaning this year! My school is now a Title 1 school and we have new time guidelines for reading and math. I am finding that by the time that I integrate tier 1, 2, and 3 instructions for both reading and math, there is only about one hour of time left for writing, transitions and whatever else I can squeeze in to that little hour. I have found that we are doing a LOT of integration of social studies and science into our reading block. During our story Frog and Toad, we learned about the life cycle of the frog. Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon brought a study of the moon's cycles. Our 3 day week for Thanksgiving will combine a Theme Test for Trophies with a study of the first Thanksgiving vs. our current celebrations. The list seems to go on as we aren't able to have a separate time that is designated for Social Studies and Science. For the first time in a few years, I am finding myself still using Accelerated Reader, but having less requirements for how many books my students need to read. Students are now doing projects of their choice from my project bin (it has 50 different choices) on books they take an AR test on so they can look at their book a little deeper, but with the project of their choice. If a student chooses a book that is too hard for them, I have them try reading it to me or partner reading with a friend instead of emphasizing personal reading levels. I am finding that this more relaxed approach has students choosing a wider variety of reading materials and using literacy with more freedom. Some days students slide me a note, or create a card for a student that is feeling down. In years past, my students were more focused on reading books and taking AR tests and didn't really care to do things that weren't required by week's end. This change and increased freedom has my students enjoying their days a bit more than the last few years!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am very interested in your AR approach. My school's AR philosophy is very strict (it's in our SIP to monitor comprehension)...they are only allowed to check out books from the library that are on their level. They can move up levels after they've passed 5 tests. My students don't seem to be reading for enjoyment now, but for the benefit of passing tests. It's slightly discouraging. Your book report/projects for the books sounds interesting. What all do you require of them? What are some of the projects? I teach 3rd grade and would love to have your ideas on making AR more enjoyable.
ReplyDeleteI am using a book project list that is from a published book. I have a hard copy of it at school and if you email me at rmgluck@interact.ccsd.net on a workday (so I don't forget) I can make a master copy for you. Because the projects are based on the book the students read, it is applicable for a wide range of grade levels. One of the fourth grade teachers in my pod also uses them. Essentially their is a list with 50 projects on it. Each of the projects has an envelope with instructions and materials if they are needed. There are fun projects like make a stick puppet of one of the characters and then come up with 3 questions you would ask your character. There are also serious projects like creating a story map or making a word chain with the nouns in the story, or even retelling and then sequencing elements of the story. Most of my students get excited when they are able to do a book project as they have ownership over the project they choose. I do have a rule though that after they do a project with a book once, they write the title of the book and date on the list and can't do it again until they have done all 50 projects. This is to avoid 50 stick figures and nothing else.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that your students are enjoying their reading time in class. I hated reading as a child and for the most part of my adult years. I am slightly dyslexic, found out as an adult, so it was painful to try to read. Once I found out, an instructor noticed it, she worked with me and then also let me choose something I wanted to do my final project on. I chose Shakespeare, something difficult in itself. Now I love Shakespeare and reading, ha who knew. I know that when I found myself faced with time constraints I would always look to the students to see what they were enjoying the most and getting the most out of, then I would incorportate literature on it to help them with literacy. That worked out for all five years of my teaching thus far.
ReplyDeleteDue to the amount of content to be taught and short school day, I have found that I too incorporate a great deal of science and social studies content into my literacy instruction. I believe that incorporating and relating other content areas to what the students are reading,helps the them to make a even stronger connections. It is great that as your students read Frog and Toad, they were learning about the life cycle of a frog. Just imagine how more meaningful both the reading and science content is for them now. Incorporating other content areas into reading instruction can be difficult at times, but the outcome is well worth it.
ReplyDelete