student literacy learning?
This is a bit of a difficult question to answer, just because I see literacy as more than just "reading traditional text." More than anything, I think I have tried to pair student interests with our curriculum, pulling bits and pieces of subject areas into text and trying to establish as much background knowledge as possible. What I mean is that whatever it is I am teaching, I try to pair with things that the students already know or have learned. If it is something we've never gone over, then I present it in a way that establishes knowledge. To me, this extends literacy learning because it provides conversations outside of the classroom. For example, when discussing money during math, I try to talk about the origination of money, show older coins, talk about trading, etc. During parent teacher conferences, many family members have spoken of some of the topics we covered during class, saying how their children taught them something new each day. This is inspiring to me, and keeps me encouraged to work even harder each day.
Hi Amy,
ReplyDeleteI agree with your post and love that your parents tell you what their children have learned. That is awesome!
I taught a grammar lesson to my high school students using song lyrics. The song lyrics were more relatable for them than a dry grammar lesson. I had them correct "The Way I Are" by Timbaland. We also discussed the meaning of language and how it evolves over time. They were able to identify and correct the incorrect grammar (the "ain't"s and double negatives) without feeling like grammar was being scrammed at them. I think this type of lesson, and other real-world lessons, allows them to see how they will use these skills after school. My grammar lesson kept them engaged in class and got across the grammar concepts in a way that they can apply outside of the classroom. And that to me is what teaching is all about!