How do you define literacy? How does this definition influence your pedagogy?
I would now define literacy a few ways but to put it as simple as possible it would be this:
The ability to do any combination of the following, to anything - reading, writing, learning, inquiring, questioning, and teaching.
Even though I am not a traditional teacher in the sense, I am a trainer and teach constantly. Because of the definition I have learned to curb my pedagogy in the sense that if I can't find one way to instruct a person on a subject I will find a different way to instruct them. I get the person learning from me involved with their own learning process. I know that I can get them literate in anything once I learn how they learn for themselves. Ino longer teach anyone the way I learn, I find many different ways I can teach something. My final assessment of them is to teach me the what they learned, as if I am a novice. I guess my definition of literacy did change my pedagogy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree - one size does not fit all! :)
ReplyDelete